The Type Tasting approach
1. USERS. We take the type consumer's point of view and focus on the user experience (not the mechanics) of type.
2. UNDERSTANDING. We explore the science behind the response to the appearance of words.
3. RESEARCH. We create our own surveys and experiments, we also collaborate with scientists. Where possible we prefer to make informed, not opinion-based decisions.
4. MULTI-SENSORY. Expertise in multi-sensory (or crossmodal) interactions with typefaces.
5. TEACH. We share what we learn through talks, experiential events, workshops and published writing.
6. FANTASTICAL. We create bonkers games and experiments because, while our research is serious, we don’t think we need to take ourselves too seriously.
7. INSPIRE. We never lecture, we invite participants to join in and take part in the discovery process for themselves.
9. LANGUAGE. We use descriptive language that democratises the subject and engages with non-designers.
9. BEHAVIOUR. We investigate the use of type to nudge behaviour and make positive change.
10. FUN. Above all, we want everybody to walk away smiling because typography is fun and exciting.
© Type Tasting 2016. Type Tasting is an initiative by Sarah Hyndman of With Relish Ltd.